Thursday, July 10, 2008

Diyarbakir Metal Workers












While wondering through Diyarbakir, trying to force myself to adjust to the dry 100deg F heat, I headed into some alleys seeking shade for a moment. Just off of Gazi Cad, one of the main roads, I discovered a short alley filled with multiple small metal working shops. I spent only about 15min in the alley, shot several dozen photos, enjoyed tea with one of the workers, then headed back for a break in the hotel to rehydrate.

In every direction there was someone forging, grinding, heating, or throwing metal tools, it was a specacular sight. The workers ranged in ages from children to the elderly. I will be returning later today, and probably over the next few days to photograph more, maybe develope a short photo story on this one alley.

Andrew A. Nelles
Diyarbakir, Turkey
07-10-2008
13:18 local

No comments: